Are You Winter Weather Ready?
Are you prepared for the coming cold weather? Cold weather can have a huge impact on your home or business if you are not ready for it. from heavy rain and freezing temperatures to damaging winds, sleet or snow, all can cause serious and costly property damage. While you cannot control the weather, you can take steps to be prepared and help take the sting out of winter weather.
To help prevent costly damages due to weather, consider taking the following precautions to protect your property before colder weather hits.
- Check property for downed tree limbs and branches.
- Roofs, water pipes, and gutters should all be inspected to help ensure they are in proper working order. Gutter downspouts should be directed away from your foundation. Clear gutters of debris, leaves and other obstructions can cause a damming effect, which can lead to roof damage and interior water damage problems.
- Inspect handrails and stairwells as well as entryways to address and correct potential slippery surfaces.
- Protect water pipes from freezing by simply allowing water to drip when temperatures dip below freezing. If pipes are under cabinets, leave the doors open allowing warm air inside the cabinet. If the building has outdoor faucets, consider shutting water off at the main valve. Once the valve is off, open the outdoor faucets to ensure it drains.
- Call SERVPRO about completing an Emergency Ready Profile for your business or downloading the READY Plan APP.